Thursday, April 8, 2010

Less Talk Is Better


"When words are many, transgression is not lacking, but whoever restrains his lips is prudent" (Proverbs 10:19).

If you give me enough time, I'll eventually put my foot in my mouth. It is not an issue of if but when. I have gotten myself in trouble with my "many" words so many times, I have lost count. I did not need to read about this in the Bible to know it is true.

People like me, who sometimes talk too much, realize that sin eventually follows their constant babbling. Proverbs 10:8 refers to the ruin that is experienced by the babbling fool.

In contrast, the prudent among us restrain their lips. These are the ones who could say something but choose not to. They know that their many words do nothing to enhance life and relationships. They are the ones who listen to the "little bird" that sits on their shoulder telling them to keep their mouth shut. When they listen, we all are winners.

Consider all that you could possibly say today and then cut that in half. Be the prudent one who restrains the lips so that transgressions are few and far between. If you are like me, people don't really need to hear everything you think you need to say.

1 comment:

  1. "...cut my words in half..." What a concept! This is good advice and I intend to try it.

    ReplyDelete